AMECEA, Nairobi, Kenya
Promoting community radio based social cohesion for tolerance and peaceful coexistence during Kenya's 2022 general elections
Project Partner: AMECEA Social Communications, Nairobi, Kenya
Project Duration: July - December 2022
Project: Promoting community radio based social cohesion for tolerance and peaceful coexistence during Kenya's 2022 general elections.
The submitted proposal is based on the conviction that community and faith-based radios in identified hotspots for potential political violence ought to be supported so that they can play an active role of promoting peace building and social cohesion during the entire electoral process. The radios are planned to be platforms for constructive dialogue, critical reflection and social interaction.
The project objective is to strengthen social relationships, trust and political harmony at grassroot level and among various stakeholders (local government, civil society, religious/traditional leaders, etc).
- Identification of six radios in hotspot areas. Preparation of "rapid assessments" on attitudes.
- Two consultative meetings to prepare a base for a "common ground".
- Two days training of radio staff on the social cohesion approach.
- Production of peace building programmes e.g. on identifying commonalities, identifying dividing factors in a social context, identifying key actors in a social context). Format: panel discussions combined with phone-ins.
- Monthly online community radio meetings.
- Monthly online stakeholder evaluation meetings.